Tuesday 3 December 2019

Idea Development - Index

I decided to draw a vector illustration of a safety pin, and whilst doing so I noticed that one end of it looked like a letter 'u', and then flipped upside down like an 'n'. This gave me the idea to create some typography from the form of the object itself.


Initial sketch

I had already been experimenting with typography and had been using 'unity' as my word - in my research I had found that post Trump's election, some people had begun wearing safety pins to show solidarity with those persecuted by his government. This also refers to the original use of safety pins, to hold together fabric - to unite it.

Using Illustrator, I created a vector version of my initial sketch. I experimented with different weights, with adding texture in the background and with using the stems of the pin. In was happy with the form of the typography I produced, but over all it looked too clean and flat to be a finished poster.



I had previously been experimenting with metallic typography and decided to apply this same effect to the vector, however my previous metallic type looked very 'fake' and digitalised. I took a high resolution scan of a safety pin and manipulated it in photoshop using the liquify tool to retain the original texture and finish of the metal.



I was pleased with this result because it looks unique and the reduced legibility draws the viewer in by forcing them to look closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment