Monday 9 December 2019

Idea Development - Icon

My initial images were a step in the right direction, however they looked bland and a little obvious as they were. I decided to take the same concept, of having the safety pin through my nose, but to create the images differently. Instead of using a traditional camera, I took the images using a flat bed scanner and smushing my face against it. In some of the scans I remained still and in others I moved as it was being taken to produce different results. 

The makeup I chose to do for these shots was messy and quick. Punk makeup was about rebelling against societal beauty norms and I have emulated this by smudging black on my eyes and lips. I used bold strokes of black eyeliner and didn't blend anything to add texture.  The eyebrow shape was inspired by Siouxsie Sioux.

The resulting images have a sense of discomfort and claustrophobia. They look as if they could be close up shots of someone being pushed around in a mosh pit - this links to my research about punk culture. 



These images give me more to work with than my original photographs as they have more organic texture and distortion. I am going to experiment with inverting the images and overlaying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment