Wednesday 20 November 2019

Colour theory - GIF

Research - aspects of colour theory.
A while ago, I remembered watching a video about how purple isn't a real colour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhA18_dmg0). 

I looked into this further and basically, to sum it up: "Scientifically, purple is not a color because there is no beam of pure light that looks purple. There is no light wavelength that corresponds to purple. We see purple because the human eye can't tell what's really going on."

My initial idea for a GIF was to collage famous images from pop culture featuring purple but the have the purple parts missing. Ideas for this were Prince's Purple Rain album, Gene Wilder in the original charlie and the chocolate factory and cadbury's chocolate. However, this felt a little juvenile and obvious.

My research on purple being a 'fake' colour lead to reading about ultra-violet. Ultra-violet was the Pantone colour of the year in 2018.

 

Then I remembered an article I had seen a while ago about how ultra-violet photography has allowed us to visualise how bees see flowers. (https://forfun.com/4Cn9)



I decided to create my gif using images containing flowers and editing them to look like they were taken under UV light. This isn't the right time of year for flowers to bloom, so I looked through my own catalogue of photos and found a few featuring flowers. I edited these in photoshop by inverting them and adding colourful layers. The close up flowers are from this article. I wanted to keep the analogue feel of the photos so I added in layers of film strip and overlaps with other photos.

I experimented with different frame lengths but having them any more than 0.2s made the gif look jerky and unprofessional. The gif moves very fast but I think that makes it more intriguing to a viewer and further communicates the idea of seeing through a bee's eyes as insects move quite erratically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment