Friday 24 April 2020

5 Future Goals

1. My future career goal is to walk work in a small / medium sized Design Studio with like-minded
creative people. This is because when I did my apprenticeship in graphic design, before uni, I would
spend one day a week being tutored in a small studio in Sheffield. Seeing the way that they worked there
was really appealing to me because they were a very close-knit group of colleagues, shared interests and
were all very passionate about what they did. They were aways working on a variety of different projects
- everything from briefs for Nike and Haagen-Dazs down to jobs for small local businesses. It was a
relaxed yet also hard-working creative environment.


At the time I was an apprentice, I was working in house for a big company doing graphic design and,
whilst I enjoyed it and I learnt a lot, it became very repetitive because I was just working for one brand.
There were very strict brand guidelines and after a while my creativity became stifled and I kind of felt
robotic in the work that I was doing. 

I've also done freelance work on the side for several different things -  I do a bit of illustration alongside
graphic design as well so I've had several commissions for that. I would not want to work freelance
full-time because there isn't a lot of security in it. I like to work with other positive creative people
because I find it motivating - working alone is okay for a while but I would get lonely if I did it every
day. I also like having a set routine, which would be more difficult if I worked completely free lance.


2. Another goal of mine is to have the projects I work on tie in with my other interests outside of graphic
design, for example flyers or social media graphics for music events which I'm interested in, album artwork,
events posters, working with smaller independent companies involved in fashion and lifestyle - by combining
my interests I am even more passionate about my work.


3. It is important to me that my creative practice aligns with my own moral compass - I take issue with the
way a lot of big businesses operate in terms of their ethics, so whilst I probably wouldn't pass up on the
opportunity to work with bigger businesses (slave to capitalism wether I like it or not) it's not my ideal situation
- I prefer to support smaller more ethical brands. I've also done graphic design for charities before and that's
something I would definitely like to continue doing in the future because I like using my skills to help others.


4. I aspire to work on a broad variety of different projects because doing the same thing over and over
becomes repetitive and I eventually grow disinterested. Variety also pushes me to grow as a designer and
push my limits - it’s difficult to try new things if you’re always working on the same type of projects. I am
interested in many different aspects of design -  print and digital, image based and typography, edgy and chic.

5. I also need to have access to cups of tea at all times because that's just how I've become accustomed to
working and I literally cannot function if I don't have a kettle near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment