Monday 9 March 2020

Protest Graphics

Today I went to an exhibition at hyde park book club called Oi!, featuring work about protest and things that 'piss us off'.



The way graphic design is used in protest and in social movements has always been interesting to me. My family have always been involved in campaigning for what they think is right; my great grandma ran the North England chapter of Amnesty International and campaigned against apartheid in South Africa. My Grandmothers are lesbians and have attended many pride marches. My mother is a teacher and has been on strike over unfair pay many times. I have many other examples, but as a younger woman I always loved looking at the signs whilst at protests. A lot of them use the 'smile in the mind' technique by using visual puns and catchy slogans, and this has always appealed to me - by using humour, protestors show that they are intelligent as well as angry.

Here's how much people have spent on all those protest signs

31 of the Most Creative Protest Signs From the Global Women's ...

Funny, sassy, and creative signs at the Global Climate Strike ...

No comments:

Post a Comment